Friday, March 6, 2015

Who Knew Diet Could Effect Your Period!?

I have noticed over the last few years how dramatically my menstrual cycle has changed and it has made me think...

I started very young, at 10,  (I have theories about this as well, especially since the growing trend is towards starting younger and younger, but that's another blog post all together) but ever since the first time waking up in the middle of the night in excruciating pain thinking my butt had exploded, my period has been the bane of my existence every month.

The week before my period I always get the dreaded period pimple; red, shiny, painful, un-popable; painful breasts, irritability and irregular bowel movements. Typically loose stool followed to extreme constipation the day before my period would start. I would get excessive food cravings for salty and fatty foods. The first day of my period for as long as I can remember has been anxiety inducing. My cramps would be so bad, I often would stay home from school, doubled over in pain, shoving my fist into my lower abdomen maintaining constant pressure, alternating between constant moaning (which surprisingly helps) and a heating pad. Regularly running to the bathroom either to pass a large blood chunk or have diarrhea. The only thing that would work mildly was taking ibuprofen every 2 hours for the first 24 hours. For years I have been concerned about my high intake of ibuprofen on the first 2 days of my period, otherwise I never take meds. My doctor said even 2 pills 8 times a day is still not the same strength as a prescription med would be. Phew. In college my doctor prescribed me a "mild" pain med to help with my horrendous first day cramps. The prescription caused me to shiver uncontrollably, become sweaty, get dry mouth, paranoia, nausea and dizziness. I thought I was dying and laid on my bathroom floor crying and freaking out, all the while bleeding heavily and still in pain. Clearly pain meds and I don't mix well. It was suggested I try a pill birth control, but I have always been opposed to unnecessary altering of my hormones. And again I am anti-medication for anything.

For as long as I can remember dreading my first day has always been this way. My periods were always incredibly heavy. Bleeding through everything. Waking in the middle of the night to change my pad, pjs and bedding. Also my period would last 7-10 days of epic bleeding. Not to mention the horribly lethargy and exhaustion. Bleeding that much takes a toll on the body. Nothing really seemed to help or alleviate my symptoms.

My periods have been this way until about a year ago, which means 17 years of debilitating, messy pain. My period changed, I didn't think much of it, thinking it was a fluke, but now I am starting to think it is because of my diet and lifestyle changes.

This is not a typical "reaction" to going gluten and lactose free, eating mostly organic and vegetarian, whenever possible, but intuitively it makes sense. If you are lessening the artificial consumption of pesticides, allergens, antibiotics and added hormones to foods, conceivably your body will find it's own rhythm and balance without those forced influences.

Sure, maybe my changes are because I am older and of baby making age, however part of me thinks otherwise. As they say - trust your gut - literally and figuratively in this case.

My period now lasts 3-5 days. I still get the menses precursor of sore breasts, cravings and irregular stool, but they are mild in comparison and the mood swings are manageable (at least A says as much) and identifiable. Also I don't get the dreaded period zit anymore. Yay for my face! The flow is much lighter too. I have one heavy day, the remaining 3 or 4 are relatively light, a light days panty liner typically will suffice. And the cramps are non-existent! I have very mild aches the week before my period but that's it. I've even stopped taking ibuprofen. My period is now a blip in my monthly schedule, barely noticeable! Woah. Who knew that was even possible? I didn't. Have you heard, or experienced the same shift with a cleaner diet and lifestyle? It makes sense to me, I've just never heard of other women mentioning this as a change with a clean diet and lifestyle shift. The days of horrendous pain and bleeding are gone – good riddance.


Helpful Side Note

For those of you who don't know or don't do it, you can and should track your cycle. Whether you use it as a form of birth control, back up birth control or simply a way to be more in tune with your body, I would highly recommend paying attention to your body and hormonal rhythm. Here is how you track your cycle:

You ovulate 14 days after the start of your period. You are most fertile on ovulation day and for 3 days around ovulation. Your cervix usually drops and your vaginal mucus will be viscous and milky. If you trying to get pregnant you will want to have a lot of sex in this 3-day window. If you are not, don't have sex or use protection.



For example: If you start in the first of the month, you will ovulate on the 14th. You are fertile for a few days around the 14th, but a buffer is always good because sperm can live for up to 5 days in the vaginal canal, so you need to consider 5 days before ovulation. You conceivably could get pregnant from residual sperm from sex 3-5 days before ovulation! So from the 14th count back 5 days. This is the start of the "could-get-pregnant-window," so again abstain from sex, use protection or start getting busy depending on your life plans. 

Also on the other side of ovulation day you want to allow and additional 3 days. These are the "in case days." Your ovulation day can fluctuate because of stress, lack of sleep, lots of sex, or not much, travel, diet, you name it; so the 3 days is that additional window around ovulation to act as a buffer. After ovulation your vaginal mucus should go back to normal and your cervix will sit higher again.

Even if you are trying to get pregnant or not trying for that matter, tracking your cycle is a wealth of information. It helps you as a woman be more in tune with your body, but also you learn what your normal is, so if something changes you will notice.