Monday, April 27, 2015

Pantry Remnants 4-Grain Gluten Free Granola Recipe

The berries right now, although not local (I know :( ) are gorgeous! I can't get enough of them. I'm going to turn into the blueberry girl from Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory. They are plump and juicy, sweet and on sale! So exciting! Although I am eating them by the handful I thought oohh granola sounds so good too, and I haven't made a batch in quite some time.

I didn't have my typical granola ingredients, see original recipe here, so I tried to wing it with what I did have in the house, and oh man did it turn out delish! I actually think it is better the the original and healthier, win win!

Of course I didn't follow the recipe which I never do anyway. I am inspired by recipes, but almost never follow them. So I took what I had, without measurements and threw it all together. So here is the general recipe, with estimated amounts, in case you want to make this deliciousness:

1/3 scant cup of raw sugar (or brown sugar)
pinch of salt
dash of organic Madagascar vanilla extract
1 spoonful (~ 1 T) of coconut oil melted and cooled
maple syrup

Thoroughly whisk ingredients in a large bowl, until well combined.

Add:

3 c. organic, certified gf oats
1/2 c. flax seeds
1/2 c. quinoa flakes
1/2 c. quinoa
1/2 c. kasha (toasted buckwheat)
(you want 5 c. of grains, whatever you have you can use, mix it up, or just try it, if you don't have the exact same grains here)
large handful of raw pumpkin seeds
2 large handfuls of chopped raw almonds
1 c. shredded, unsweetened coconut
2 handfuls of raisins – 1 added before baking, 1 added after 


(I really like baking some of the raisins into the mix, they get crunchy and a little chewy. If you don't like this, add all your raisins after, when it has baked and cooled. Normally I do unsweetened cherries or cranberries, but I didn't have any, so raisins had to do)
cinnamon generously sprinkled across the top

Mix ingredients all together in the large bowl, making sure to bring the liquid mixture from the bottom up and integrated. The mixture should start to look a little wet all over. If it isn't, add a bit more maple syrup.

Once well combine spread all the granola onto a baking sheet. Evenly distribute and press down a bit. Put into a preheated oven at 325 and bake for 30-45 minutes. You will start to smell it and the edges with slightly brown. Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Enjoy with almond milk and fresh berries galore, or with yogurt, or just a quick handful as a snack (as A likes to do). I'm drooling already, off to go have a bowl! Yum.